If you are injured while at work, or suffer a work related injury, you are legally entitled to make a workers' compensation claim or WorkCover claim. It is compulsory for Queensland employers to hold suitalbe workers compensation insurance for their employees.
A workers compensation claim or WorkCover claim covers injuries and accidents caused by the negligence of an employer or co-worker or any other third parties that you deal with at work.
How can Trilby Misso Lawyers help with work injury claims?
Trilby Misso Lawyers can provide you with advice if:
- You want to know if you can claim compensation for a work injury
- You have received an offer of lump sum compensation and you are not sure whether to accept it
- Your workers compensation is rejected or stopped
Do I have a workers compensation claim?
The WorkCover workers compensation scheme covers injured workers including;
- Casual and permanent employees
- Full time and part time employees
Can I make a work injury claim if I'm a sub-contractor or self-employed?
If you consider yourself to be self-employed or are referred to as a sub-contractor, you may be covered by WorkCover if most of your work is for one organisation or you are treated by the organisation in a similar way to an employee.
What type of workplace injuries can I claim for?
Workplace injuries can range from serious illness, injury or damage (including amputations, fractures and brain injuries) through to strains and sprains (including repetitive strain injury or RSI). It also covers psychiatric injuries that may arise from witnessing a traumatic event at work.
Work injuries that are covered by WorkCover include injuries;
- That occurred at or as a result of work and during work hours (e.g. while on a lunch break)
- Such as a disease caused by work or diseases or pre-existing conditions that have been made worse by work
- Suffered whilst travelling as part of work (not usually to and from work) or whilst receiving medical treatment for a separate work injury
What compensation can I expect for a workers compensation claim?
If you have suffered an injury during the course of your employment you may be entitled to a range of compensation benefits through a workers compensation claim. There are a number of different factors that can affect the compensation you may be entitled to, our work injury lawyers will work on your behalf to get the best outcome for your situation.
You may be able to claim compensation for:
- pain and suffering, including loss of quality of life
- immediate and future medical expenses, and
- loss of earnings and future earnings.
Should I accept the lump sum offer from WorkCover and how can Trilby Misso help?
Always get expert legal advice from our compensation lawyers before accepting any offer from WorkCover, or before signing any documentation from your employer or your employer’s insurance company (including WorkCover’s Notice of Assessment) as the lump sum compensation offered by WorkCover may not adequately compensate you for the long term consequences that arise from your injuries.
Trilby Misso will make sure your claim covers everything that you are entitled to. Our lawyers can also help with advice about:
- lump sum compensation entitlements
- rejected WorkCover claims.
Do time limits apply for workplace injury claims?
Strict time limits apply for workplace injury and WorkCover claims so it is important you contact Trilby Misso either by phone on 1300 INJURY (1300 465 879) , via an online enquiry or by visiting one of our local contact centres as soon as possible after your injury.
Who pays compensation if I take legal action?
All employers are required by law to have workers compensation insurance. This means that in the event of a work related injury to an employee, it is the workers compensation insurance that pays any applicable compensation if the employer is found to be at fault.
How long will it take to finalise my workers compensation claim?
On average it takes 14 months for a workplace injury claim to settle. The actual time taken for a negotiated settlement to be reached will depend on the facts and complexity of your case. Claims that go to the courts will take longer and be subject to the schedule of the courts.
How much will it cost to make a workplace injury claim?
We are No Win No Fee lawyers which means if we don't win your case you don't pay.
- BRISBANE CBD(07) 3331 9100Address:Ground Floor 288 Edward StreetPhone( Australia ) :1300 874 529Phone :(07) 3331 9100Fax :(07) 3331 9180BROWNS PLAIN(07) 3802 6000Address:Grand Plaza Shopping Centre, 27-49 Browns Plains RdPhone( Australia ) :1300 874 529Phone :(07) 3802 6000Fax :(07) 3809 0466IPSWICH(07) 3812 3888Address:1 Lowry Street, Next to Riverlink Medical CentrePhone( Australia ) :1300 874 529Phone :(07) 3812 3888Fax :(07) 3281 5242LOGANHOLME(07) 3209 9778Address:Hyperdome Shopping Centre - Cnr Pacific Highway & Bryants RoadPhone( Australia ) :1300 874 529Phone :(07) 3209 9778Fax :(07) 3806 4697MORAYFIELD(07) 5432 3811Address:Morayfield Shopping Centre, 171 Morayfield RdPhone( Australia ) :1300 874 529Phone :(07) 5432 3811Fax :(07) 5432 3231ROBINA(07) 5593 2753Address:The Rocket, Cnr Robina Town Centre, 119 Laver DrPhone( Australia ) :1300 874 529Phone :(07) 5593 2753Fax :(07) 5575 9597SUNSHINE COA(07) 5444 7488