Slater + Gordon Lawyers Trilby Misso
Part of the Slater and Gordon group
1800 555 777
Font size A A

Car Accident Lawyer & Compensation

If you have been injured in a car accident or motor vehicle accident due to the negligence of another person, our personal injury compensation lawyers can help you obtain the compensation and damages you are legally entitled to through a Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance claim. CTP insurance pays compensation to people who have suffered an injury in a motor vehicle accident where negligence can be established.

This includes if you have been injured in a car or motorbike accident, boat or bicycle accident, plane, jetski or truck accident or other motor vehicle accident.

If the accident caused a fatal injury, dependents may have a right to bring a claim regarding funeral expenses and loss of dependency.

Even if the car accident or other motor vehicle accident that caused your injury was an unidentified or unregistered motor vehicle, you still have the right to make a CTP claim, although the time limits are much shorter. In that case, there is a state insurer, the Nominal Defendant who will respond to the claim.


Am I eligible to make an injury compensation claim for a motor vehicle accident and how can Trilby Misso Lawyers help?

You may be able to make an injury compensation claim if you are:

  • A pedestrian or cyclist injured by a car (i.e. a cyclist hit by a vehicle or the open door of a vehicle or a pedestrian hit by a vehicle)
  • A driver or passenger injured in a motor vehicle accident (single car accidents and multiple vehicle accidents)
  • A passenger suffering whiplash as the result of a car accident, or
  • A driver or passenger injured in a motor vehicle accident as a result of items on the road (e.g an oil spill) or items that have not been properly secured to another vehicle.


What compensation can I claim for a motor vehicle injury accident?

In each case, our motor vehicle accident lawyers will work with you to understand the circumstances surrounding your injury from the car accident and then advise you on your prospects for achieving a successful injury compensation claim. This injury compensation claim could be used to compensate you for pain and suffering, medical expenses, physical or emotional rehabilitation needs, other direct expenses, plus loss of earnings including overtime.

The amount of compensation you receive will depend on a combination of factors including the nature and extent of your injuries, your age, your loss of earnings and likely loss of earnings in the future, the amount of care you need or may need, your out of pocket expenses and any future expenses incurred from the motor vehicle injuries sustained in Brisbane and Queensland.

Are there time limits to make a car accident injury claim?

It is important you contact us as soon as possible after your accident so we can lodge the necessary claim forms with the insurance company. There are strict time limits associated with this particularly if you do not know the identity of the other vehicle.

Also, make sure you speak to Trilby Misso Lawyers before signing any documentation from the other party or the other party’s insurance company, otherwise you may lose your right to claim damages.

On average it takes 14 months for a motor vehicle accident claim to settle. The actual time taken for a negotiated settlement to be reached will depend on the facts and complexity. Claims that go to the courts will take longer and be subject to the schedule of the courts.


How much will it cost to make a motor vehicle accident compensation claim?

We are a No Win, No Fee injury compensation law firm, which means if we don't win your case, you don't pay.

If you would like more information please enquire online and we can call you back or by visiting one of our local contact centres, no appointment required.